Postcard the Street, Eagle Gates and Loosey, 1903
This view of the top of The Street, facing south, shows to the front the Eagle Gates to Aldermaston Court, to the right The Loosey with Well House behind, and to the left Tile Cottage and the shop.
The postcard is from a series produced by Rightons of Newbury. The photographer J W Righton of Newbury made many postcards. More information on him can be found on the Dictionary of Methodism, Great Britain and Ireland website . He is also the focus of the 2008 book, “Pedagogy to Photography: The Life and Work of John William Righton” by Thomas Linney Norgate.
The postcard is in only moderate condition being a bit dog-eared and with ink blots on the image.
The reverse of the postcard has the handwritten date of 17 August 1903. This is compatible with the 03 on the frank and with the green halfpenny Edward VII stamp. Edward VII reigned from 22 January 1901 to 6 May 1910.