Manor House 1851: an Edwardian Photo Album

Mr Denis Carter has kindly made available a splendid album of photographs depicting life in the Manor House in the very early 20th Century. The richly-furnished and decorated views of the interior give a unique insight into the taste and style of wealthy families’ lives- and the first photo, of a very early motorists’ rally in front of the Manor House, has been dated by Mr Patrick Collins of the National Motor Museum Trust, Beaulieu, as around 1901/1902. The remaining photographs presumably date from the same period.

From the villagers’ point of view, the amount of housekeeping required clearly provided employment for a great many servants!

A splendid gathering of early 20th Century motorists with their horseless carriages. In 1896 the law requiring someone to walk ahead with a red flag was repealed and the speed limit raised to a dizzy 12 mph. Not a number plate to be seen- registration was introduced from January 1904. Mr Collins has identified most of the vehicles as follows, from left to right: 1- The first vehicle is a Benz from 1898/99 - the world's very first production motorcar, boasting 2 3/4 horsepower. 2- Possibly a De Dion Bouton of 1901/02; 3- This could be a Darracq of about 1900/01; 4- The front is obscured by the gentleman sitting on it.; 5- Possibly a Leon Bollee or its UK license-built Coventry Motette; 6- A Panhard Levassor of around 1899; 7- Possibly another Panhard Levassor, of about the same age; 8- Possibly a Stirling or a Panhard Dogcart of about 1898/99; 9- Probably another Panhard Levassor from around 1899; 10- A motor tricycle, probably a De Dion Bouton, Ariel or Components from around 1898/99. Many tricycles used De Dion Bouton engines; 11- A Benz from around 1898; 12- A rear-engine De Dion Bouton of around 1898-1902; 13- details unclear.
One of several group portraits which include Charles Keyser (front row, striped blazer holding a cricket bat), then a group of ladies (members of his family?), other worthies- and members of the Cricket team.
One of two views, possibly of the Breakfast Room. Note the electric light fittings. The Manor House had its own generator at this time.
Another view (as above 02) possibly of the Breakfast Room
A first view of the library. The centre panel of the end wall is today a concealed door, disguised as bookshelves.
Another view of the huge library.
A third view of the great library, including a piano with two stools.
A view of the lofty foyer or entrance hall- the upstairs balconies are just visible.
Another view of the lofty foyer. the right-hand door opens onto the library and the exit of the left leads to the gallery where the stained glass windows of the saints are to be found.
Another view of the foyer. The archway on the right leads to the staircase. 
Another richly-furnished room, also featuring a billiard table as can be seen in the next photo but one.
A second view of this ornate and comfortable room
A splendid billiard table with electric lighting, in the same room judging by the ceiling and furniture.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *