Mr Charles Keyser, owner and Lord of the Manor of Aldermaston from 1893 till 1929, devoted himself and much of his considerable wealth to the village. One of his major works was providing the first piped water supply- and also drainage- and when complete a ceremony took place on Aldermaston’s “Loosey” which was photographed. In this photo below, Charles Keyser is clearly identifiable wearing a straw hat to the left of the fountain- and the dog to his right is almost certainly one of the family’s favourite Pekinese. His wife Emma and their three daughters are surely the group, dressed in white, behind and to the right of the waterspout.
Mr Keyser subsequently erected over the fountain the memorial celebrating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
More images of the Keyser family can be found by clicking on
Add a comment about this page