With the help of Beth Asbury, West Berkshire Council’s HERO (Historic Environment Record Officer), we have secured an image licence from Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum to show a painting from the Sutherland Collection at the Museum.
Painted in 1819 by George Shepherd and donated to the Museum by Mrs A.H. Sutherland in 1837, it is a watercolour with dimensions of 25.6 x 37.1 cm.
It looks to have been painted from one of the upper floors of what is now the Hinds Head.
There are buildings shown which are still recognisable today – no 21, the barn at Brook House, Kiln House, the distinctive gables of Tile Cottage and one of the Lodge houses flanking the Eagle Gates.
A photograph taken almost two hundred years later makes an interesting comparison.