The second window on the left (northern wall) as we enter the church was inserted in 1885 as a memorial to Daniel Higford Burr, owner and Lord of the Manor from 1849 till 1885 who built the present Manor House. He is depicted as Adam, naming the animals in the garden of Eden. The photo below shows the entire window and the inscription at the bottom gives details.
The next photo focuses on Mr Higford Burr who has a cat draped around his shoulders. He was known to be a great animal lover and sometimes walked around his property with a snake coiled around him! His grave stone, in pink granite, is to the north of the church.
The window furthest along the north wall to the left of the altar is of especial interest. Like all the windows it has been restored in the 19th Century but the central roundel is of medieval origin and thus a very rare survival. The next photo shows the whole window, with the ancient roundel inset to the right in its present (2019) condition. A banner rising from the Angel Gabriel’s hands has been blacked out at some time.
According to several authorities including Charles Keyser, the text was formerly “Ave Maria Gra”’, in full “Ave Maria Gratia Plena”, or Hail Mary, full of Grace. The third photo attempts to illustrate how it may have appeared, while also removing the iron bars on the outside of the window, which obscure the image.