Sterling Cable Company Limited was formed in 1948 from the merger of two previous manufacturers, one based in Warrington and one in Enfield. In the same year the company bought the Strange & Sons Brewery site at Aldermaston Wharf (now Swan Drive & Kingfisher Close) and transferred their Enfield operations. In 1958 the business expanded by leasing the site to the north of the canal that is now Heron Way and Mallard Way, and opened a further factory in Newbury in 1960 on the site of the former gas works. The Aldermaston site manufactured a wide range of cables for industry, with applications in oil rigs, airports and shipping (including supplying cables for the QE2 when it was built in the 1960s). After a series of mergers and ownership changes, the company became Sterling Greengate Cable Company Ltd in 1982, and was sold in 1990 to BICC (now Balfour Beatty). By this time the Aldermaston site was loss-making, relatively low output and had limited scope for expansion, so operations were transferred to other BICC sites and the factory closed.
(Image republished with kind permission of Grace’s Guide to British Industrial Heritage https://www.gracesguide.co.uk)