Charles Keyser, owner of Aldermaston Court from 1893, was a noted antiquarian and in 1911 published a book entitled ‘Notes on the Churches of Aldermaston, Padworth, Englefield and Tidmarsh‘. The contents of the book were reprinted from Vol.17 of the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal, and had been ‘Partly read before the Berkshire Archaeological Society, April 6th, 1911.’
The extract published here includes the text and contemporary photographs relating to the churches at Aldermaston and Padworth; Charles Keyser had supported extensive work to St Mary’s Church, Aldermaston prior to the publication of this book. This particular volume includes a handwritten note from Charles Keyser to the recipient, the Rev’d Dr A H Cooke, dated August 1925.
We would like to extend grateful thanks to Aldermaston resident Jo Payne for making the book available for us to photograph and publish this extract.